Saturday, August 13, 2016

His name is Holy Spirit


But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. John 14:26

Through the evening yesterday, I was scrolling twitter and I came across a tweet. which read:
"You can have the Holy Spirit inside of you and never use it"
I underlined the word ‘it’ they did not. I have been taught through the bible that the Holy Spirit is the third of the Trinity of God. My dad reminded me lots of times that The Holy Spirit is a person not an it, correcting me when I used to say ‘it’ instead of He. It is important that we have a grasp of who He is, Who the Holy Spirit really is.
First Scripture is above when Jesus mentions Him. Jesus said, “...the Father will send in my name, HE…”
Jesus proclaimed that The Holy Spirit is a person HE!
Next we have Luke 12:10 -12 which reads, “10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. 11 And when they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not be anxious about how you should defend yourself or what you should say, 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.” (emphasis mine)
If The Holy Spirit is a thing, then how can it teach. So this is another example of Jesus’ proclamation of The Holy Spirit as a person.
All  through Acts we see Him, The Holy spirit, in action:
  • In Peters in Acts 4
  • In Stephen in Acts 7
  • In Paul(Saul) in Acts 8 and 9
  • In Acts 10: 38 Peter said of Jesus being anointed with the Holy Spirit and power- explaining that the two are different
1. Person- The Holy Spirit
2. A thing- Power from God
  • In Acts 13 He sent them… (Barnabas, Simeon and others)
  • In Barnabas’ letter in Acts 15 saying what The Holy Spirit said to Him about what to abstain from (sin). He, the Holy Spirit is a teacher.

The one that stands out to me in my morning study of The Holy Spirit, is in Acts 16:
6 And they went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia. 7 And when they had come up to Mysia, they attempted to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them.”(emphasis mine)
This clearly teaches us that not only is the Holy spirit a person it is THE Spirit of Jesus, The Spirit of God.
John 14: 1,8-11  “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him,“Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.”

Since The Father and Son are one, and the Holy spirit is The Spirit of Jesus, then The Holy Spirit is a He not an it. Make sure to keep this clear when teaching.
Thanks
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment